Monday, March 21, 2005

 

Infestation

I hope y'all didn't think the squirrel stories were over. OH NO! I have enough to entertain you through summer!
So, at this early point in the spring, I continue to have squirrels living in my ceilings. About a month ago, ANOTHER squirrel moved into my apartment. It moved into my living room ceiling, which is made of plaster and is SEALED, thank god. So even if it dies, I'm pretty sure it won't SEEP on my furniture.
It made itself known to me one evening (AGAIN, while A.I. was on ). It started scratching away at the ceiling. I screamed at it "GO AWAY!!!! AMERICAN IDOL IS ON!"
It did not heed my warning, so I grabbed a broom and banged on the ceiling. (God knows I don't sweep, so that broom has to be good for SOMETHING) It quieted for 2 minutes or so and resumed it's repetetive scratching. I then shouted some expletives at the squirrel, who apparently is not as offended by the F word as Beverly, and continued scratching.
I consoled myself with the above statement concerning seepage, and decided NOT to call the landlord. It's a sealed ceiling, what could they do?
It scratched until about 10 pm, when Juan and I heard it scamper to the other side of the living room, and THEN we heard a LOUD TUMBLING sound. The damn thing had fallen from the ceiling down into the wall space. It was TRAPPED behing my baseboard, in a corner. And it was PISSED. I mean, mad. It scratched and scratched and scratched. It also made other strange sounds. It literally sounded like the squirrel had a stash of my size 10 sneakers back there and was THROWING them against the wall. I have NO IDEA what he could have POSSIBLY been doing, but he was PERSISTENT. I called my friend catherine and let her listen to the strange sounds. She was incredulous. She even blogged about it. You can see her post about it at
catherinefox.typepad.com
It is posted under "Desperate Phonecall"
And it WAS desperate. thats ucker was scratching so hard and fast I thought he was going to come flying through my wall at any moment. again, I couldn't call the landlord...what could they do? NOW the squirrel was SEALED in the wall!
Juan said it was very possible that the squirrel would chew a hole through the wall overnight and GET INTO my apartment. Juan is very good at comforting me, but he is also very good at being honest. I spent the night huddled under the covers. I closed and locked my bedroom door. I was convinced the squirrel could probably chew through mylock and get into my bedroom. I even refused to get out of bed at 2 am when I had to go to the bathroom. I could only imagine myself half asleep on the toilet at, and a RABID squirrel comes FLYING out at me. It was a little too much for me to take. My only logical conclusion was that the squirrel was rabid. What living creature could scratch for 6 or 7 straight hours?
When I woke up in the morning, I made a lot of noise before I left my bedroom, hoping that if it had chewed it's way in, that I could at least scare it into a corner and give myself some time to get the hell out of there. But there was no hole in the wall, and no more noise coming from the corner. I called the landlord. The maintenance man came over and checked the outside of the house, and found that the squirrel had CHEWED through the HOUSE. There was a HOLE outside where it escaped.
And this squirrel is NOT rabid????

Comments:
Woah, this story is almost scary! Well, more than seven years have passed since this squirrel saga of yours. It’s possible that a squirrel that mad would’ve destroyed a lot of your things, but it’s a good thing that it’s trapped in sealed ceiling. Of course, proper measures (by which I mean humane) must still be exercised to get rid of the pest. Hope things turned out well!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?