Monday, May 23, 2005

 

Springtime and Bugs

This is my first springtime in my new apartment. It is always interesting to see what type of infestation will bless my new home as the season changes. With fall and winter came the squirrels. They were my housemates for 7 long months. Hanging out in my garbage can, building nests in the living room ceiling...and DYING in the bathroom.
Now that it is May and finally spring, I have ANTS. The first time I saw one, I got upset. I told Juan I was cursed with ants because I am a slob and do not Clorox the kitchen counters on a daily basis. He told me that is is Ant Season, and everyone has ants. He says there are even ants at his mom's house. That makes me feel much better, because Juan's mom (Minnie) is a CLEAN FREAK. (Somehow Juan knows that telling me EVERYONE has something is endlessly comforting to me. He tells me this about everything. Such as gingivitis, ants and smelly kitchen garbage cans)
I suppose I can't technically call the ants an infestation. I have seen 10 ants in the past week. One was a flying ant. I don't know if he counts.
There was an ant on the counter this morning. I tried to feed him some raw ground beef (I was making meatballs). He wanted nothing to do with it. So I killed it.
And now there is one scurrying on my curtain. I am going to leave it there because I do not want to squish it and have ant guts on my curtain.

Comments:
"There was an ant on the counter this morning. I tried to feed him some raw ground beef (I was making meatballs). He wanted nothing to do with it. So I killed it."

funniest thing i have heard all day.

-- nut
 
I think that you can buy ant traps at wegmans.cfs. We have GIANT centipedes. They are like 2 inches long and wide. They look like lobsters.
 
I make good meatballs. If he doesn't want, it then he has nothing to live for.
 
This is a Camel Cricket (http://www.uark.edu/depts/entomolo/museum/camcrick.html)

And this is a Velvet Ant (http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/Articles/CowKillerAnt.htm)

We have both down here.

-SP
 
the links got cut off. they're supposed to be

http://www.uark.edu/depts/entomolo/museum/camcrick.html

and
http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/Articles/CowKillerAnt.htm
 
um ok blogger sucks. the first one ends with "camcrick.html" and the second one ends with "CowKillerAnt.htm"
 
I didn't know you made such good meatballs! Jena
 
Last summer, there were ants pouring out of our kitchen sink. It made me so sick to my stomach, that I couldn't use the sink for weeks. Now, we have Smiley's Pest Control every month to take care of them. I HATE ANTS! Jena
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?